Mr James -I’d like you to meet Professor Edward Smith.
Mr Orwell – Nice to meet you, Professor Smith.
Professor Smith – Nice to meet you.
Mr James: Professor Smith is an economist. He works at Cambridge University.
Mr Orwell – Really, I am an economist too. I work for the United Nations.
Professor Smith – In the Development Program, by any chance?
Mr Orwell: Yes. How did you guess?
Professor Smith – I’ve read your articles on technical assistance. They’re excellent.
Ann: Who’s the tall woman next to Barbara?
David: That’s her friend Nancy. Didn’t you meet her at Steve’s party?
Ann: No, I wasn’t at Steve’s party.
David: Oh! Then let me introduce you to her now. Nancy, this is my friend Ann.
Nancy: Hi, Ann. Nice to meet you.
Ann: You, too. Would you like a drink?
Nancy: please, thank you.
- Which one is a formal introduction?
- A. I’d like you to meet Professor Edward Smith.
- B. Hi, Ann. Nice to meet you.
2. How did Professor Smith guess Mr Orwell’s job?
- A. Mr Orwell told him about it.
- B. The professor read Mr Orwell’s articles on technical assistance.